by Irvin Muchnick
Concussion Inc. is pleased to announce that Thomas R. Burke of San Francisco’s Davis Wright Tremaine LLP will be co-counseling with my attorney Roy S. Gordet in opposition to the federal government’s appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals of our district court victory for public release of more records from the Department of Homeland Security’s file on disgraced Irish Olympic swim coach George Gibney’s American immigration.
Burke is co-chair of DWT’s national media law practice. He has 27 years of experience in litigating public records litigation, including Freedom of Information Act lawsuits that:
- first disclosed records of problems with the Transportation Security Administration’s use of the “no fly” list after 9/11;
- disclosed serious problems with the Treasury Department’s “global terrorist watch list”;
- made Homeland Security make the interview notes of all asylum officers available nationwide through FOIA;
- forced the Internal Revenue Service to release all Form 990s (the filings of non-profit organizations) in machine-readable format; and
- after years of FOIA litigation, compelled the U.S. Department of Justice to release the legal memoranda given to the Central Intelligence Agency and the Department of Defense involving the extra-judicial execution of a US citizen living abroad who was labeled a terrorist.
Burke told us he was “delighted to be involved in this important access matter of ongoing interest to the Irish and to Americans.”
In December, Judge Charles R. Breyer, after privately reviewing 20 disputed and withheld documents, ruled that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must surrender parts of some of them in service of this reporter’s quest to determine whether the American Swimming Coaches Association “greased the wheels” for Gibney’s original visa and permanent residency. The coach’s flight to America followed criminal charges in Ireland of his sexual abuse of many youth athletes he coached. The Trump Justice Department filed notice of appeal last month.
Complete chronological headline links to our series, “Why Is George Gibney — No. 1 At-Large Pedophile in Global Sports — Living in Florida? And Who Sponsored His Green Card?”: http://concussioninc.net/?p=10942